Home / Posts tagged "Kuafu"

夸父 Kuafu

It begins sometime about half year ago, i was trying to recreate a chinese style 3D world. By the time the idea is really simple, just grabbing some chinese ink style mountain textures and trying to put them together. Then a good friend of mine saw this, start chatting with me about it. He said it would be interesting to use the real map data to construct the world, and also along with a good story. At that moment this ancient chinese myth “Kuafu” ( 夸父 ) come to my mind, it suits this idea perfectly, a giant chasing the sun across the land. We both like this story and get really excited about this project, we start right away playing the some experiences, not long after my friend came out with this amazing design :

Styleframe_2_50

It was so beautiful and went behind my imagination about this story. Later on I start to work on the first working prototype :LINK


We really like this prototype and get more ideas while play with this, so we start to make it a project. The first step is to create the storyboard :

After this prototype and storyboard, we both caught up by works and kept us busy for some while until one weekend. It was a friday evening and I am on my way home. Suddenly I have this idea to record a ink drop and use it as a texture for mountain. Our first prototype looks good but the mountains are flat, I do want to make a real 3D mountain but I have no idea how to create the texture for it. And then this idea struck me, so i do a quick test on that night.

The result is better than I thought it will be, they make a really good looking chinese style mountain.

mountainsWithTextures

So I went back and create more textures, trying and playing with different colors and also test on different papers. I really enjoy this process of creating textures, it takes time to create them but sit there watching the ink flows create all kinds of interesting and beautiful shapes is really exciting. As a dev we all know the more randomness we throw into the code the more alive it will become and have more variety. But there’s nothing can compare with the actual thing. Every ink drop will create different shapes based on how thick is the ink, how high you drop them , how much water is on the paper, the flow of the water, the tiny different on the paper itself, it’s all these things that you cannot control which make it more beautiful. And also make it feel really different when you put it in 3D render.

After these testings, the next step is to get the real elevation data and try to recreate the terrain. In the beginning I was using the google elevation service to get the data, which works perfectly, and the most amazing thing is that it even return the elevation underneath water. However I was afraid that we will hit the api call limit quite quickly as we are going to generate a good amount of mountains, so I switched to use an elevation map :

earth_height

The idea and the way to do it is really simple : We translate the latitude and longitude to x and y on this map, read the pixel value of this coordinate of this point, the brighter the pixel is, the higher the mountain will be. And each time to create a mountain , I set a minimum height of the mountain and ignore the those lower than this, and also check if there is already a mountain nearby, if not, then I’ll create a new mountain.

heightCombine

And in the same time my friend created these amazing style frames :
Styleframe_4

Styleframe_3

I was really excited with these stunning images he created, and we really like this landscape layout, so we start thinking : Why don’t we make it an installation ? We think it will looks better on a long panoramic format and also this will make it feel more immersive. So we tweak our direction from an online experience to an installation.

Just at this moment, google launch a new project call DevArt, we think it’s a really good chance for us to show our project to the world. So now we’ve put it on here. And also because now we are making it an installation, we think it will be great to have some sound effect in, and would be even better if it’s interactive. So we invited our other friend on board to work on the sound design part. He joins with lots of amazing ideas with sounds and make the sound design a big and interesting part of this project right away.

In order to make an installation, I switched to cinder now, combined with Node.js as our server and an HTML5/JS page as controller. This week I started to work on the communication part. Sending the data from the controller to Node.js server and then to the frontend using different technologies.

So now we are working to finishing the project, it’s really interesting to look back all these testings and prototypes. It seems that we have already done a lot. But the truth is there is still more ahead. I want to thank my friends who give us so many positive feedbacks after we announce this project. It’s definitely a good motivation for us to keep working on it. We will keep update our dev art project page, and I will keep updating my blog on this project too, even if the dev art is over.